Monday, November 3, 2014

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles cosplay and Comikaze 2014

A few friends and I decided to Cosplay as the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles for Comikaze 2014.  My friend Chevy and I made most of the props. We were on a budget and this would be the first time my friend Jeandra and our pal, Katie would be dressing up for a convention.  In fact, this would be Katie and Jeandra's first pop culture con.

Donatello's Bo staff was made out of cardboard and duct tape.  I cut open wrapping paper cardboard and hot glued a few pieces together. 




I started out with light brown duct tape, then decided to go over it with dark brown.  The purple in the middle was just an 8 x 11 strip of purple duct tape. 


 

Chevy had extra brown fabric that she got cheap a long time ago.  She designed and sewed the shells.  They were very lightweight and made out of cardboard and stuffed with lightweight material.  (It also doubles as a pillow.)


I made Leonardo's Katana sword out of cardboard and duct tape.  The blade portion was painted silver. 







We were looking for costume shirts, but they all ended up being sold out.  Thus, I picked up a few cheap shirts at Joann's and made the chest out of brown fabric.  I traced the chest on cardboard and traced the pattern on the fabric I had.  


I had just enough fabric for four chest plates. 


It's hard to see from here, but the chest plate pattern is traced. 


I pinned the cutout chests to the shirts and hand sewed them on.


We wanted to make them adjustable, so I cut off the sleeves and collars. 



I cut the shirts, so each one of us could adjust them to fit. 


End result.



We bought masks and added tutus and legwarmers.  And Voila, the turtles all together and in action!







Chevy and I have cosplayed together in the past.  Jeandra and Katie had such a good time dressing up, so they are hooked!  We want to come out with another group cosplay for the next con we attend.  

Comikaze is always a good time.   Katie brought her niece Mia, (who dressed up as Wonder Woman) and Jeandra brought her daughter, Kaya (who wore her Medusa costume).  Kaya loves the Simpsons as well as Mindcraft and had a blast! 


















Mia had a great time as well! 

 

Chevy and I, we of course, just chillin".


We only attended Sunday because we all either had to work or had prior engagements.  Here are some highlights from the show. 


I love the Lumpy Space Princess! She looked adorable! I want to do an Adventure Time cosplay soon! 


The turtles with an awesome Suicide Girl!


Katie and I love us some Vadar!





The dudes from Comic Book Men at their table.  I wish I could have gotten a better shot of Bryan Johnson. I was too shy to ask for a picture.  Tee Hee!


Yes, we met DMC! He had on the best shirt ever and actually ran into me on the way out and waved bye!
Jeandra and I felt special.





 Best cosplay of the day! The Walking Dead!






It was an epic time by all!  We will do this again soon!



No comments:

Post a Comment